Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Chronological Blog isn't working for me...on to Yemen!

This is a picture of my room at the hotel in Sanna. The building is 1000 years old! The square windows are new, but the circle ones are original.
Not sure what these tiny little steps are for, but interesting!
Wish I had some way to give you perspective on these doors. They are tiny! I had to stoop to enter.
In Yemen you can't take photos of women/girls, but there were plenty of cute little boys to photograph. This one waited for me each morning. It was tough to get a good shot of him...he squirmed!
This is the street my hotel was on



After returning from Christmas, I was off to Yemen to do a home study for an American family living there. The trip was pretty intense. Of course I knew it wouldn't be like going to Laos or Vietnam, but I had no idea how crazy it would be. I arrived in Sanaa then drove around eight hours through the mountains to a city in the south. I'll go light on the details :-) I didn't know that the US and British Embassies had just ordered all American and British citizens to be followed around by police while traveling. As we weaved our way through the mountains, I had a police car in front of me, and a a truck with a machine gun behind me. If I stopped to see a site, two armed guards followed. My driver, Jamal, was amazing. He was safety, entertainment, and educational all wrapped up in one! There is too much to write about my five day trip...seriously it would take all day. I'll get as many pics as I can up...enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment